What an incredible start to the program year we had last Sunday! I so enjoyed the Instructed Eucharist services, and was also able to drop in on Adult Formation. It was great seeing some new faces in the pews, and I do apologize to anyone that I welcomed to St. Mary’s for the first time who has merely been traveling this summer. Following the service, I joined the Youth Group for pizza followed by a hike to the top of Lapham Peak, which was a lot of fun. I heard from the youth about activities and volunteer opportunities they’d like to engage with in the coming year.
Last Saturday was the Vestry Retreat, and we worked hard to put together some goals for the coming years. Our two major areas of focus are growing the congregation by being more intentional in the programing we offer; communicating more purposefully with the congregation and the surrounding community. We also talked about the roles of the Clergy, Vestry and Wardens at St. Mary’s, as well as the role of the congregation. What do you think? Do you agree?
Role of the Congregation
- Maintains faithful attendance at worship. Prays regularly for the Clergy, Vestry, Wardens, people of St. Mary’s and the wider community.
- Participates in and/or support programs and initiatives as developed by vestry and Clergy.
- Supports the parish financially to the best of their ability.
- Serves in parish ministries as they feel called, such as administrative duties, caring for parish members, welcoming and incorporating new members, caring for building and grounds, and outreach.
- Works in collaboration with the Mission of St. Mary’s and in cooperation with the vestry, wardens and clergy. There is a strong sense of lay leadership and a desire to reach out into the surrounding communities and beyond, in fulfillment of our Mission Statement.
- Notifies the Clergy or Sr. Warden of any special needs or changes such as illnesses, hospitalizations, or relationship problems, concerns, joys or any other need for spiritual care.
- Participates in the mission of the church to restore all people to unity with God and each other in Christ.
Prayers and blessings,